Rich Cheese Scones with Mustard and Chives - Diabetic Version
by Bill and Sheila
(Contributed by: Bill and Sheila's Cookbook)
Wholemeal version (Ideal for Diabetics)
· 450g/ 1 lb/4 cups of wholemeal flour
· Pinch of salt
· 10ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
· 115g (4 oz) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
· 50g (2oz) sunflower margarine
· 150-300ml (1/4-1/2 pint) buttermilk
1. Pre heat the oven to 200c (425f). Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. working quickly and lightly, stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a moist dough.
2. Pat out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 4cm (1 ½ inches).
3.Using a 7 cm (2 ¾ inch) cutter, cut out 15 rounds. Place the rounds on a floured baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. The exact cooking time will depend on the depth of the scones. They should be well risen and lightly browned. Serve warm, cut in half, with a little sunflower margarine.
Nutrition (Calculated from recipe ingredients)
Total fat: 5.95g
Carbohydrates: 20.4 g